Rae Nudson recently posted a room plan she created on the basis of Mary Robinette Kowal’s novel Valour and Vanity. Inspired by Rae, I made this moodboard evoked by Suzanne Collins’s The Hunger Games.
The room plan is based on my imagining of District 12, not on actual descriptions from the books and/or movies. I tried to keep it simple and utilitarian with some creature comforts. It’s also a mix of items unequivocally from our world (there’s no way Katniss would have arrow wall hooks, for example) and the kinds of things I imagined Katniss might encounter in her daily life. I see it as a multi-purpose room: bedroom, living and dining space combined. In addition, many items would be DIY-ed or DIY-able.
Below is a full source list.
- Chairs: Urban Reclamation dining chairs from Overstock
- Bed: Tribecca Home Giselle iron bed from Overstock
- Table: angelo:HOME dining table with casters from Belfort Furniture
- Wardrobe: Sherwood wardrobe from Little Tree Furniture
- Rug: Heaven and Earth round rag rug by KnotUnderFoot on Etsy
- Curtains: DIY blanket stitch linen drapes like these posted by Katy Elliott
- Blanket: DIY hand chocheted blanket like this afghan in earth tones from SnugableTouches on Etsy
- Wall hooks: Arrow wall hook from CB2
- Wall shelf: DIY wood crate as shelving like this by Dana at Tattered Style
- Bag: Leather Crossbody Hunter’s Pouch by hellome on Etsy
- Herbs: Potted parsley; galvanized buckets with leather handles from CB2
What do you think – too much? Too little? What would your version look like?