While I may have some qualms about the adaptation of The Song of Ice and Fire cycle for the screen, there’s no doubt that the production values are amazing. I am in awe of the costuming, lighting and set decorating departments especially. They do such gorgeous work!
Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, here’s a room re-do from season 1 of Game of Thrones: the entryway into Maester Pycelle’s room in King’s Landing.
This corner of the room is seen in episode 10, and it’s where Maester Pycelle dons his official-old-dude posture. In the screencap above, the door is at the left, behind Pycelle’s back. There’s a wooden char in the lower right-hand corner and a mirror on the wall. The shelves are filled with small chests or boxes, jars, some candles, herbs in vases and other doodads.
Finding a chair similar enough was a challenge, just like the furniture in my Eddard Stark office re-do. You might find a replica by searching for x-frame (or x-form) chair, Dante chair, Savonarola chair or scissors chair. It’s much easier to find modern bookcases resembling Pycelle’s shelves, though, and I found an exact match for the mirror. Chests, wooden boxes, old bottles and vases are probably easiest to find in thrift and antique stores, but I’ve listed some online options below.
- The Edge Mirror, Kirkland’s, $140. Exact match!
- An ‘X’ Frame Moorish style chair from Spain, 19th Century, Bonhams
- Verona six-shelf bookcase, Cost Plus World Market, $175
- Antique Style Wooden Small Trunk, Wayfair, $34
- Pirate Treasure Chest, Wayfair, $50
- Vintage Polish Hand Carved Box, Ebay, $18
- Vintage handcarved wooden box, DragonflysVault on Etsy, $9
- Wood Fired Bottle, MBrownCeramics on Etsy, $25
- Wall paint: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Cathedral. There are also several other muted teals you could pick from.
- Antique Bottle With Handle, WeeLilGlassie on Etsy, $13 for two
- Venetian Rib Candle, Target Australia, $5
- Vintage Pilgrim Crackle Glass Vase, JaysRoom on Etsy, $18
- Light Green Vintage Glass Bottle, willandbequeath on Etsy, approx. $17
(Herb image: Stylish Spoon.)
Anything you’d add or remove?